October 28, 2013
THE BOARD APPROVED ..................................................................
CLOSED SESSION REPORT
- On a 7-0 vote, the board approved the Settlement Agreement in California Department of Finance (“DOF”), etc. et. al, SOCCCD etc. et. al. (Intervenors) v. Grimes, and authorize the Chancellor to sign the Settlement Agreement on behalf of the Board. The Department of Finance, the Chancellor’s Office and the four community college districts in Orange County sued the Orange County Auditor Controller, Jan Grimes, and the County Board of Supervisors, as an intervenor on behalf of the auditor controller, for incorrectly calculating the County’s Vehicle License Fee Adjustment Amount (“VLFAA”) for 2011-12 and 2012-13 and thereby failing to pay approximately $150,000,000 into the County’s Educational Revenue Augmentation Fund for those years. The Orange County Superior Court ruled in favor of the districts, and the DOF. In order to avoid further litigation and appeals, the parties have agreed to a settlement which provides for the County to repay the $150,000,000 over time by making payments into the County’s Educational Revenue Augmentation Fund and through deposits into a separate account in the County’s treasury for the benefit of the California Community Colleges. Once all parties have signed the Settlement Agreement, a copy will be available through the Chancellor’s Office.
- On a 7-0 vote, the board approved a resolution terminating the employment of an academic administrator at Saddleback College and directed administration to send the appropriate notice to the employee.
- The board approved all remaining administrators listed on the agenda a renewal of a three-year contract with the exception of the Saddleback College administrator listed in the above action.
OPEN SESSION REPORT
- All consent calendar items and academic and classified personnel actions. For additional information, please contact the Chancellor, College President or appropriate Vice Chancellor.
- A grant of $100,000 from City of Irvine Measure R and Measure BB funds to Irvine
Valley College Foundation to support students’ academic performance through enhanced and innovative student health and guidance services in Irvine.
- Five transfer degrees from Saddleback College in Art History, Psychology, Elementary Teacher Education, Kinesiology, and Theatre Arts.
- Saddleback Student Out of State Travel to San Antonio, TX.
- $170,660 award from the Orange County Workforce Investment Board (OCWIB) to provide Veteran's Pipeline Initiative services through the OCWIB's Workforce Innovation Fund.
- Saddleback College Study Abroad program to Peru.
- Additional preconstruction services by C.W. Driver, Inc. in the amount of $72,588 for the Saddleback
College Sciences Building project.
- Bid award in the amount of $159,896 for biology equipment for the IVC Life Sciences building.
- Modifications to the District’s Order of Priority for the Five Year Construction Plan for submittal to the State Chancellor's Office.
- Revised Basic Aid Allocation Recommendations for FY 2103-2014.
- Acceptance of the U.S. Department of Labor’s Trade Adjustment Assistance Community College and Career Training Grant (TAACCCT) in the amount of $2,749,999 to streamline and enhance Saddleback College’s current allied health training
programs and address emerging career opportunities resulting from the Affordable Care Act.
- $47,925 in additional design services for the Saddleback College Technology and Applied Sciences building to be provided by gkkworks.
- An increase in the project budget for the Saddleback College Sciences Building of $8,523,000 and authorization to execute and deliver Lease Leaseback Agreements. Director Brandye D'Lena provided a brief presentation on this item.
- Board Policy Revisions to BP-3410: Nondiscrimination and BP-
4012: Academic Administrators and Classified Managers Personnel Files.
- Rescind previously approved sabbatical leave for Kiana Tabibzadeh for Spring 2014 at her request.
- New and replacement full-time faculty positions for Saddleback College and Irvine Valley College contingent upon funding.
- Layoff of one
categorically funded classified position as a result of lack of funds and/or lack of work.